• Create a two patterns that interlock in some way. These will be cast in aluminum using green sand and with the class built crucible furnace.
• Your original patterns need to be made from a relatively hard substance (high density foam, wood or 3D printed pattern are some things I would suggest).
• The patterns can be hand formed, printed or milled.
• They may be two-sided, although they will need to have perfect draft along a straight parting line.
• Each team will need to cast at least two sets of patterns (you only need to make one pair of originals). In the final cast the parts must be interchangeable (some final chasing of the patterns will be allowed – however they should fit without major milling).
•Each pattern should not be larger than xyz: 5”x4”x3” and the part line should occur along the xy plane.
PDF FROM TODAYS LECTURE ON THE ASSIGNMENT: